Here is a video and list of symptoms to best describe my problem. It's a 1997 Honda Accord DX.
First annoyance is as soon as I put the key in the on position, I get a loud buzz from the drivers door. Oddly, if I keep the drivers door open while I turn the car on, there is no loud buzz. Not sure if this is related to my stalling issue, but I thought it’s worth noting and you can see what I mean in the video.
So far, this stalling seems to only happen in the heat. I’ve driven long distances in the cool night and it didn’t stall at all.
Back to the problem and the sequence of how it all happens:
- Car intermittently shuts off when driving or after the engine heats up and I’m at idle.
- All power goes out, no power steering, etc.
- All dash lights go out.
- The doors go from lock/unlock when it happens.
- If I am driving while it happens, I can get it to fire back up after a few attempts to turn over the ignition.
- If it happens when I am say at a stop, after a short period of time, the power comes back while the key is still in the on position and I can start it again.
- Then it’ll repeat the above.